Sunday, September 12, 2010

Delux

92 Ossington Avenue
Between Queen West and Dundas West on the west side of the street
No name on the sign. An arrow and the number 92

Date Visited: September 11, 2010 (our anniversary dinner)

Our Review: Please note that for all of our reviews 3/5 is considered average. We start with an overall review and then break it down and focus on food, Décor/ambiance, service, and quality for price.

Overall: Stewart 2.5/5   Nancy 4/5  Price Range:  Entrees= $17-25
Nancy's Review: I am a big fan of Delux. I loved my dinner and outside of the temperature of the restaurant, I was really happy with the dinner. It wasn't the best choice for our anniversary dinner, but i would go back

Stewart's Review: I was not a big fan of Delux.  The portions were small and average tasting, the chairs were very uncomfortable (to the point that I had to change seats) and the restaurant was very hot and loud.

We recommend you visit this restaurant for: a night out with friends.  This place would work best for a group of 3 or more, but make a reservation and ask for a booth.

Food:  Stewart  3/5   Nancy  4.5/5
Stewart's Review:  The food was ok, but no more than ok.  I had roasted chicken with potato dumplings, peas, and chorizo sauce.  My portion was very small and it did not come anywhere near filling me up.  The potato dumplings were fabulous but I only got three of them and they were tiny.  There was a leafy veg mixed in with the peas that really overwhelmed the other veg.  The chicken was ok but the sauce wasn't great.

Nancy's Review: I had a different experience. The appetizer oysters were delicious. Stew wanted more lemon but i enjoyed the flavour. I had the Steak frites. Steak was cooked perfect and well seasoned. I'm not sure how to explain why the fries were so good, but they really tasted great. We aren't really desert people but order the freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. They were okay but nothing overly special.

Decor/Ambiance:  Stewart 3/5     Nancy 3/5
Stewart's review:  The place had a nice ambiance and a few nice pieces of art.  It has a nice room in the back that is good for bigger groups.  In the front, I think that the booths would be comfortable enough, but the tables were very close together (so close that the waiters had to move the tables to allow us to sit) and they had uncomfortable seats.  On top of that it was very very warm.  The temperature made us leave earlier than we would have otherwise.

Nancy's review:  I agree with Stewart on this one.  The heat was unbearable by the end of the meal.

Service:  Stewart  3/5   Nancy  4/5
Stewart's review:  Not much to say.  It was average.  The food did come very quickly though.

Nancy's review:  Good service.  The staff was friendly and the food came quickly.


Quality for Price:  Stewart 2.5/5   Nancy 3/5
Stewart's review:  I felt like the place was overpriced.  For the food quality, and especially the portion size I thought it was expensive.  My meal was $23 + tax/tip and I was still hungry after it, even though we had had an appetizer  The wine was very expensive.  The cheapest bottle was $43.  In my mind there is never a reason that a restaurant should not have at least one bottle of wine in the $30 range.

Nancy's review:  After tip, our meal came to $150. With that, we had oysters, two mains, a desert and a bottle of wine. A very typical amount for a nice night out - expect for that Stew was still hungry. I'll give it an average rating for this category.

No comments:

Post a Comment