Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sushi 101

513 Bloor Street West
One block west of Brunswick, south side of the street
Date visited: September 2010


Please note that for all of our reviews 3/5 is considered average. We start with an overall review and then break it down and focus on food, Décor/ambiance, service, and quality for price.

Overall: Stewart 3.5/5 Nancy 3.5/5  Price Range:  $8-13
Nancy’s Review: I don’t really know why there is a line up at Sushi on Bloor and no line up at Sushi 101. The sushi is good and the service is decent. If it were a little busier, the ambiance would be better. But I would choose this restaurant over its neighbour in a second.

Stewart’s Review: This place beats its sushi competitors in the annex in almost all categories. I don’t understand why it is so empty. Get a few more butts in the seats and the place would be great on all fronts.

We recommend you visit this restaurant for:  A Quick night out when you want a good meal at a great price.  Not recommended for a fancy night out or a first date.

Food Quality: Stewart: Sushi 3.5/5 Korean 3/5 Nancy 3.5/5
Stewart’s Review: I usually eat sushi at this restaurant but this time I ordered a Korean dish, and Nancy and I shared some of her Sashimi.
Korean dish - Vegetarian Bibimbap. The dish was ok but it was not as good as the bibimbap I have had at some other restaurants. It did not come with an egg on top, which I definitely missed.
Sashimi dish - To start, they gave me all of the sushi sides (soup and salad), despite the fact that I ordered a Korean dish. I was very happy about this!! The sashimi, as always, was great!

Nancy’s Review: I had one of the Sashimi combos. The salmon and tuna were delicious, but I avoided the red snapper (which I tend to avoid at most places). The soup is good – hard to go wrong but the salad was nothing to write home about.

Décor/Ambiance: Stewart 3/5 Nancy 3/5
Stewart’s review: Sushi 101 has a nice décor (including a very nice sculpture near the entrance) and an interesting colour scheme. I have always enjoyed the décor and ambiance in this restaurant, but, the restaurant is usually ¾ empty. If you are the type of person who loves a busy restaurant, this may not be the place for you

Nancy’s review: Although Sushi 101 has some nice aspects of their décor, being empty doesn’t help the ambiance. Not a place to go on a first date.

Service: Stewart 4/5 Nancy 3.5/5
Stewart’s Review: I have been to sushi 101 many times and I have never been disappointed with the service. This visit was no exception. Always friendly and prompt. That being said our meals did arrive at different times which is obviously not ideal.

Nancy’s Review: The service is generally fast, but if you are ordering from the Korean and Sushi menus, don’t expect to get your meals at the same time.

Quality for Price Stewart 4/5 Nancy 4/5
Nancy’s Review: Decent food, great price. The $13 sashimi meal can cost upwards of $15 dollars at other restaurants.

Stewart’s Review: Good food, great price. My Korean dish only cost $8 + tax/tip. It was definitely worth the money

No comments:

Post a Comment