Monday, October 11, 2010

Domus Cafe (Ottawa)

Location:  85 Murray St (Ottawa)
Restaurant type:  Fine Dinning/Local cuisine
Entrée Price range:  $30-35
Wine price range: $37 and up.

We recommend you visit this restaurant for:  Romantic dinner or an intimate night out with friends

Overall  Stewart 3.5/5  Nancy 3.5/5
Stewart’s review:  The experience was enjoyable but not mind blowing.  The décor was a bit dull, and it was a bit pricy, but I enjoyed the food, and the service was really good.  On top of that it serves a local/seasonal menu, which is always a plus.

Nancy’s review:  There were opportunities to make the food better, but overall the service and atmosphere made up for any short comings.

Food  Stewart 4/5  Nancy 3/5
Stewart’s review:  I ordered the elk medallions, which came with tasty green beans, mashed potatoes, and a pulled pork and potato croquette.  It was the first time that I had eaten elk and I really enjoyed it.  The beans and potatoes were the perfect side for the elk (though I would have enjoyed a lot more mashed potatoes).  The only low-light was the croquette.  I didn’t like the taste at all (and I found a bone in it).  The plate would have been much better without it. 

Nancy’s review:  The barley risotto appetizer had unpleasant texture and it left a bad taste in my mouth.  My main was seared scallops with shitake mushrooms and butternut squash.  It was good, but would have been more flavourful with a sauce or seasoning on the scallops.

Décor/Ambiance  Stewart 3/5  Nancy 4/5
Nancy’s review:  I thought that this was the perfect setting for a romantic dinner.  I loved the open kitchen and even though the restaurant was a big open space it felt intimate.  The prints on the wall could use a change.

Stewart’s review:  Unfortunately we ended up in a little nook at the front of the restaurant.  Nancy had a decent view of the restaurant but I could not see anything, so I can’t give much of a décor evaluation.  The only thing I could see were some wildlife prints which seemed a little out of place in a fine dinning restaurant. 


Service:  Stewart  4.5/5  Nancy 4.5/5
Stewart’s review:  The service was really great.  It was a big part of what made the evening enjoyable.  The servers were friendly and prompt.  When they noticed the bone from the croquette they immediately offered a free dessert (I took a Baily’s on ice instead).

Nancy’s review:  I agree with Stewart.  Our server was especially friendly and prompt.


Value for money  Stewart 3/5  Nancy  3.5/5

Stewart’s review:  The total bill was pretty reasonable but I did think that the mains were overpriced.  Overall, I would say that it was worth the money but there is some room to pick it up a few notches. 

Nancy’s review:  For a fine dinning restaurant the prices were reasonable.  I especially liked that they had a lot of affordable local wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment